Friday, February 12, 2010

i'd quit my preaching and i'd work on a building too

Today is one of those days where I wish I'd brought my tape recorder out. Had a 10am tech call for Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf, a show that goes up at UB next week, which was mostly spent hanging and focusing lights, although we managed to write cues too. That'll save us time at tomorrow's cue-to-cue, where the actors will get pissy when the focus isn't on them. Typical.

Anyway, the point was that I light-railed it to and from, and the ride back featured a crazy guy testifying about being a warrior for Jesus. His had been a jailhouse conversion, from the sound of it, and now he was preaching on the light rail in a somewhat charming sing-song, separating each thought by stomping his foot. I really wish I'd been able to record him, because while he was clearly ranting, it didn't have the malignancy one usually associates with crazy people in this town; he wasn't hating on cops or the government or Jews or any of the other usual crazy person targets. It was a nice change of pace, although I'm still wondering why exactly we're supposed to be warriors for Jesus. There's obviously a force we must oppose - warriors makes that much clear - but he never said what it was. I'm hoping it wasn't gays or abortion, because too many Christian sects are hellbent on picking fights over those wedge issues to no productive end (aside from fundraising, I guess). I'm hoping he wanted people to be warriors against hunger and want and poverty and the non-specific plights of those without hope or structure or a sense of greater purpose. I'm not a religious person, but there's objective worth in fighting those things.

So I've decided to bring the tape recorder tomorrow, just in case lightning strikes twice and wacky things are said within earshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment