Thursday, February 18, 2010

waving my dick in the wind

So Dreamweaver isn't as difficult as I thought it would be so far. Code, HTML or otherwise, intimidated me for years, but my professional blogging career thus far has softened that a bit; one of the blogs I maintain uses a version of Wordpress that might as well be laid out in Norse runes, so I'm always fixing stuff in the HTML editor. That's all I ever intend to use code for - patching holes in website design - but I still want to learn more about it because I'm pretty sure it's still useful to know.

The website I'm supposed to be designing is another matter. I feel a tad presumptuous promoting my work when, as it stands, I don't have all that much to promote. I do have a novel in revision, so I guess I could build the website around that. Otherwise, all I've got is a handful of publishing credits and a lot of unpublished work still in transit. Which isn't bad, but all the writers I like have novels out and short stories everywhere, and often book tours/movie deals/misc. collaborative projects as well.

But they had to start somewhere, I suppose, and building a fan community as you try and break through to a successful, or at least steady, writing career is certainly possible, if the current webcomics business model is any indication. And it might be my best option, since my style and generally antisocial nature both pretty much condemn me to niche market status forever. Self-promotion has never been my bag, and a lot of writers are in the same boat because we're all drawn to art's most solitary, introverted medium for the same reason. I've got plenty of opportunistic carny instincts, but I also find the whole process of selling my work (and myself, essentially) excruciatingly awkward and draining, and thus have almost no control over the Irish bullshit charm I somehow inherited from my dad. Keep me out there long enough and I will get bored and frustrated and say anything, and probably try setting fire to people with my mind.

...wow, that thought kinda ran off to join the circus about a paragraph ago. My point is that this website project has me thinking about promoting my work in the future, which means I'm going to actually try breaking into the business for real, which is terrifying and could end in disaster on par with the Great Hinckley Fire. All the same, I must press on. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment