Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Food for thought

The part that scares me the most, and I’ve talked about this with people I know who are parents of teenagers who I go way back with, and they too are concerned with what happens to a developing human being’s mind and outlook when they’re so conscious about their Facebook profile...[when] you are how you advertise yourself, and you always have to worry about your public persona as though you were some celebrity who is constantly getting torn down on cable news. I don’t think that’s a way for a kid to grow up, do you? I must package myself this way or I can’t love my own mind or let alone my own body.
-Jello Biafra

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with Biafra. We now live in a society where we are so consumed with social media. We measure our self-worth by how many "friends" we have or "followers" we have. I can imagine kids must feel a lot of pressure to live up to a persona that is not them.

    ReplyDelete