Tuesday, June 1, 2010

this is what i want, is what i want

Getting a story published in 5923 Quarterly in September. This is good, because I'd been trying to move that piece for a while and now that it's found a home, I can get off my ass and start writing more new stuff instead of endlessly and ineffectually tinkering with drafts. 

And for the first time in ages, I'm trying to read the market and pick out some places I'd like to send stuff. Beneath Ceaseless Skies is one possible spot, plus they pay. Opium is another - I've submitted there before with no luck, but I might have something they'd like this time. It's probably bad form to look up journals and then write with them in mind, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure a lot of writers do it and I'd like to see how different stylistic/editorial restrictions affect my work. And, of course, I'd like more publishing credits and more sales. And a solid gold toilet, as long as I'm tossing wishes into the void. Not sure what put me in this headspace, but I'm feeling much more confident about my work than usual and I'm curious to see if there's an opening in the genre/spec. fic. market for it. 

At the same time, I'd like to continue with my more experimental style and see where that leads. I'm thinking about turning my midterm and final project into a handmade book, too - it'll make for a good summer project if nothing else, and maybe I can make a few and sell them. Don't see why not. There's still a fairly vibrant 'zine culture in this town, and I've seen/bought plenty of weird stuff from Atomic Books. I've still got someone's NaNoWriMo novel in the bathroom, even. But now I'm babbling, so I think I'll shut off here and go sleep. And plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment