Tuesday, July 27, 2010

make it hot in this party

Saw Inception with some friends on Sunday and really enjoyed it. More than I was expecting to, in fact. Jeff Somers makes an excellent point about the previews/marketing creating unapproachable expectations for the film itself, but since I almost never watch TV, I didn't see any of them. Of course, I haven't seen any of Bones Season 5 or the new Futurama either, so there are considerable drawbacks to never watching TV.

I also don't know enough about film to give Inception much of a coherent review, but it was a) the best Leo DiCaprio flick I've seen in ages, and b) tense. Tense in ways that thrillers/heist movies aren't usually tense. I felt it in my brain instead of my heart or gut, and it was consistent throughout. It's also a movie that people can argue about and dissect for ages, which in my mind is a good thing.

I'm sure it will also spark up discussions on the nature and importance of dreams; in fact, it probably has already. I don't dream, at least not that I can ever remember, and I'm as skeptical of the writerly preoccupation with dreams as I am of astrology, and basically for the same reason: it all sounds like pop-psychology gibberish to me. I guess I'm just drab when it comes to phenomena like dreams or planetary alignment. But Inception was based on a good idea which was implemented well, I thought, and it made me think about the subject on more objective terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment