Saturday, September 25, 2010

2×f 3×f 4×f 5×f etc.

I braved the heat today and took in the Baltimore Book Festival, which clots downtown with literary ephemera and street fair grub every September. I'll be heading back tomorrow, most likely, but today was notable for hearing Larry Doyle read from Go Mutants! (which I recently started and already like), hearing Kimberley Lynne read from Dredging the Choptank (I make a cameo in the promotional vid), and meeting Goodloe Byron, whose free books pop up all over Baltimore, The Wraith being his newest one. Goodloe's a literary weirdo in the finest Bawlmer tradition, and I like his work.

I'm also, as today's picture suggests, reading at a Banned Books event next Tuesday (the 28th) at UB's Langsdale Library. It starts at 11 and runs until 2, and is basically a handful of UB staff/faculty reading excerpts from controversial books. I picked Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, so I'll be reading from it and explaining why it was banned. Cat's Cradle has to be the most innocuous book Vonnegut ever wrote (not intended as an insult), so I'd really hate to meet the article of weaponized anti-fun who found something in it to ban.

That said, I'm going to go watch Silver Streak and write poetry. Back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment