Wednesday, January 12, 2011

drop it drop it low low

The Novel is slow going. I've decided that forcing myself to update this blog with my progress might force me to actually finish this questionable undertaking. I want 2011 to be the year that I get The Novel into good enough shape to shop around to publishers.

But to do that, I need to crawl back into that world again and fully live in it, which is hard when I have so many other creative projects that need finishing. I've got my Fiction Project book to work on, a 'zine to print, and two more story ideas that are fresher and more exciting than something I wrote back in 2009, cooled by the shade of dinosaurs that might as well have walked the earth, it seems so long ago.

Not only that, but as I revise, I'm finding that this story doesn't want to be told the way I'm telling it. The energy isn't there, and the scenes come out more like static cave paintings than anything real actual people would inhabit. I guess knowing that is a good thing, but I don't know how this story really wants to come out yet, and that bothers me to no end. The only recourse is to experiment until I find some way of getting what I need from my characters and capturing the spirit of the world they live in without boring myself (and thereby potential readers) to goddamned tears. Anyone got any prompts? Anyone?

Really, it shouldn't take me this long to putter through a novel that's less than 40k words (thanks to some much needed cutting). But since I have to keep scaring up freelance work to make a living and keep the wolves off my doorstep, the energy to throw myself into this particular project is sometimes hard to come by.

Still, I've managed to expand the role of one crucial character and tighten up a lot of flavor text, so I've gotten somewhere. I just feel a bit rudderless at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment