Wednesday, January 26, 2011

they are lost to us now

Apologies for the delay - school and work started up again this week, so my time has been limited. Or was until today, when the snow got me out of a meeting and might get me out of class tomorrow.
Tuesday night was my first proper graphic design class, and I think I'm going to enjoy it. It's a mid-level course, so expectations are higher than they have been, but I think the other classes I've taken (namely Typography) have prepared me to meet them.

Anyway, I finished Flash for Freedom! this week, and overall it was good, but the ending was a little abrupt. A few of the novels in the Flashman series have this issue, but this one was in a huge rush to wrap things up, speeding through what could have been a really funny courtroom scene and depriving the reader of a confrontation between Flashman and his shitheel father-in-law that had been building throughout the entire book. Maybe Fraser was under a deadline or something, but it felt cheap in the way that the ending to Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym felt cheap.

Oh well. Win some, lose some. It's not like I don't have jillions of other books to occupy me this winter. Speaking of, I have to write/edit two of them. Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment