Wednesday, December 28, 2011

walk into my web

Merry holidays, everyone!

I've been watching a lot of Curious George with my niece, and it has become clear that the show was written by subversive geniuses. A lot of children's programming is written with special over-the-kid's-head stuff for the adults who will be watching these shows over and over and over and over and over again, but the Curious George writing team is especially bold. When 98% of the show is innocuous and helpful and completely free of tension, lines like "George and Jumpy Squirrel played nut hockey all afternoon" and "George couldn't sleep; he kept thinking about Mr. Pasketti's weed problem" come at you like jump scares in a modern horror movie.

I'm also reading The Manual of Detection, which I will post about once I'm done. There are a couple of other books on deck once that's done, but they can wait until I return to Baltimore.

No comments:

Post a Comment