Wednesday, May 9, 2012

dress up and have a photo shoot

Well! Now that I've paid off my student fees, I am officially done with grad school. All I have to do now, I think, is sit back and wait for UB to mail my diploma. If they seriously think I'm getting up in the single-digit morning hours to sit through ANOTHER graduation ceremony, they're crazier than a wet bag of cats.

While we're on the subject, Stone a Pig is selling like hotcakes and the big MFA reading/bookfair was a massive success for me. I gave what I thought was one of my better reading performances to a packed house, and made back my printing costs over that weekend. Plus, I got some of my classmates' books, which I'm looking forward to reading. I graduated with some really talented people.

I will also be published in Cobalt sometime in the near future - their fiction editor was at the reading and requested one of my stories from the book, so be on the lookout for that.

Oh, and I finally finished David Cookson's The Best of Thunder Johnson, which was apparently a NaNoWriMo project that he stapled into a 'zine book and sold at Atomic Books. You know, it's really good. Messy, in that some character details arrive too late and some of the dialogue is a little convenient, but I really like the premise, and the space that the characters and setting occupy is a very interesting one. The book deals, albeit in the background, with the sad reality of public-access television in an area full of mentally-ill people, and the way that impacts the characters is really interesting. Dealing with Baltimore's blue collar eccentricities on a daily basis makes it all oddly familiar, too.

And now there is bed, my oldest friend. More later.

1 comment:

  1. You didn't mention the Cobalt thing when I saw you yesterday. Congrats on that!

    ReplyDelete