Wednesday, January 16, 2013

wholesome romances with an inspirational worldview


THE NEXT BIG THING:

What is the Next Big Thing? A series of questions for writers. The rules? You post answers to the questions below on a Wednesday. I was tagged for this by Lavinia Ludlow, one of my favorite writers and people. And so it begins...

Question: What is the [working] title of your book/work in progress?
Answer: I'm working on three books presently, but I'll use this time to talk about my western, titled MY NAME IS HATE.

Q: What is a one-sentence synopsis of your book?
A: A pregnant woman, followed by a mysterious and violent black dog, tracks down her runaway husband.

Q: Who or what inspired you to write this book?
A: My love of westerns, first off. Second, I just finished books by Ken Sparling and Michael Kimball, and I really like how they write in these sparse, bleak vignettes. They're both really good at using that minimalist style to build narrative tension, and I wanted to see what I could build with those same tools.

Q: What else might pique the reader’s interest in your book?
A: It's a steampunk Western full of depression and violence.

Q: Where did the idea for the book/work come from?
A: I've wanted to write a Western for a while now, and my last book made me realize that my work doesn't do enough with female characters. This project seemed like a good way of accomplishing both goals

Q: What genre does the book fall under?
A: Speculative fiction, I guess.

Q: Which actors would you choose to play the characters from your book?
A: Not sure. I hate it when fiction adopts Hollywood aesthetics, so I'm tempted to skip this question altogether. Actually, I think I will.

Q: How long did it take you to write the first-draft of your manuscript?
A: Still working on it. It might be another month, plus I'll need time to put all the images together. This book will be very design-dependent, with lots of graphics and such. I really like fussing with how words and pictures interact.

Q: Will your book be self-published or represented by an agent?
A: Probably self-published.

No comments:

Post a Comment