Sunday, April 21, 2013

fight for silly things like this

So I got a new job, which partially explains the tumbleweeds blowing across the dusty, uninhabited prairie that is this blog. I'm working at Whole Foods, which is exhausting but exhilarating work alongside some really cool people. I'm still the new guy, so my primary function so far is learning everything I can and trying not to get underfoot or fuck up too much.

Luckily, I still have enough energy after work to do stuff. I was recently a guest (for the second time, even) on EMP Collective's semi-regular live talk show It's Finally Happening, which also featured The Neo-Fascist Nursery Troupe Players, a trio of hilarious faux-fascists who turned common children's songs (B-I-N-G-O and similar) into odes to Idi Amin, Hitler, Kim Jong-Il, Castro, and others. One of them had a guitar with "This machine kills Woody Guthrie" written on it, which made me laugh almost immediately.

I'm feeling particularly inspired to stay on my art grind because of this Raptitude article about how 9-5 office jobs drain our souls and leave us incapable of doing anything but spending too much money. "Keeping free time scarce means people pay a lot more for convenience, gratification, and any other relief they can buy," the article opines. "It keeps them watching television, and its commercials. It keeps them unambitious outside of work."

That last line is the kicker. I don't want that to happen to me. My job is basically a way to support my writing habit, and I don't want to lose that. I have a lot to work on, so what I need to do is make sure I put aside the time and energy to do it.

That goes for the rest of you, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment