Tuesday, March 4, 2014

sing from a woman's perspective

Whoa it's been a long time since I wrote here.

The western is done and laid out as well as it can be for now. I'll be emailing the printer shortly to let them know that it's that time again. I'm working on a couple of other projects as well, and I made a short little e-chapbook of poems that I'll post on this site later on.

I've been reading a bit as well: finally finished The Wind-Up Girl, and read Gabe Durham's Fun Camp after that. I also read Chelsea Hodson's chapbook, Space Camp, because I felt like I was on a roll with books named "[x] Camp" and didn't want to stop. I can't tell whether or not I was being guided by pangs of nostalgia for a more innocent-yet-hormonal time. It's not like I spent a significant amount of time at camp. I only went once, really.

Anyway, I don't have the energy for more in-depth reviews of either thing, so I'll just say that both Fun Camp and Space Camp were good, even if they suffered from the common indie lit phenomenon of ending just as they're getting interesting. This is especially true of Space Camp.

Wind-Up Girl was awesome aside from where it followed the unfortunate spec. fic. trend of making the central female character a beautiful prostitute. I mean yeah sex sells books and all but it's just weird when so many books fall into that same rut.

It's also impossible to complain about this without sounding like a prude. Whatever.

Good lord I am tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment